Sunday, January 30, 2011

Jane's Fame: How Jane Austen Conquered the World by Claire Harman

Summary
Jane Austen didn’t conquer fame during her lifetime like many female writers of her time didn’t even publish her books with her real named attached. So how did Jane Austen finally conquer the world? Harman answers this question by detailing the popularity of the author from her lifetime to present day. Not only is Jane’s fame studied but also the book gives a well rounded summary of her life and family. Harman creates a polished and studied detail of Jane’s fame that will give any Janeite satisfaction.

My Opinion
I can’t deny Harman’s hard work she really created a massive compendium to the study of Jane Austen fame and popularity. I did find myself very intrigued by many of the sections in the book; especially the last chapter entitled Jane Austen™, where Harman discusses Jane’s more modern fame which I could connect with because I knew the references. For example how one pivotal lake scene involving Colin Firth changed the world of Jane Austen for many. Also Harman shows her more comical side with references to the more scandalous side of Jane Austen. She points out the many scenes where Jane’s characters find themselves in rather “wet” situations. My only complaint was other sections were slower because the writing is very dense and academic. Overall Jane’s Fame: How Jane Austen Conquered the World is very interesting and unique take on the world of Jane Austen.

I checked this book out at my local library Lafayette Public Library

No comments:

Post a Comment